Caution: Woman at work

Lauren Prior sits on the Frenchman Valley bench outside the school. Lauren has been an employee at FVC since October of 2016.

Jade Allen, Staff

Every day when Lauren Prior goes to work, she gets a glimpse into the world of a corporate office. Lauren works as an office assistant at Frenchman Valley Cooperative.  Better known as FVC, the cooperative is an ag-related business. As an office assistant Lauren does jobs like filing and sorting papers, answering the phone, making copies, and anything else that might need to be done.

Lauren mentioned that it can get pretty crazy at times.

“When it is harvest time it’s go go go, but when it’s not, like during winter and spring, it’s pretty chill,” Lauren said. “I personally like the go go go more.”

Lauren works common hours during school, from 3:30 to 5 p.m. every day; however, in the summer her days get longer. Lauren will go to work around 7 a.m. and get off at 6, 7, or sometimes even 8 p.m. When an auditor comes, her days get even longer.

“During audit time it really depends on who needs things done,” Lauren said. “The auditor comes and they check all of our books to make sure they are accurate and no one is lying. So when the auditor comes, people are so busy with their books, the rest of their jobs don’t get done. That’s when I step in and help wherever I can.”

Lauren is very passionate about high schoolers having jobs after school. She’s had one since she was young, and she believes it teaches high schoolers responsibility.

In Lauren’s case, her job may even go with her after high school.

“Frenchman Valley has so many different locations, and where I am going to school in Wyoming, it would make since if I wanted to continue; I would have the option,” Lauren said. “I want to study business accounting.”

Lauren explained that having this job has absolutely influenced her future plans.

“After working in the accounting department, it’s given me a better understanding of what I would be doing,” she said.

This job has helped Lauren with other things besides just guiding her life after college.

“I was able to take a CPR and first aid class through Frenchman, so I got to learn that,” Lauren said. “I got to learn more responsibility. I had it before, but I was able to expand it.”

Overall, Lauren expressed that she is very thankful to have this job at FVC.