New Longhorn Mural

Paulina Orozco

Chase County Schools is underway on a new mural for the east wall of the Longhorn gym.

The mural will show a herd of longhorns that looks like it’s stampeding through the wall. The design was created by the MIC time classes of art teacher Mrs. Zuege and industrial tech teacher Mr. Gleisburg.

The students have been working on the project since early in the school year. The sketch has been transferred to the wall and the basic colors are going on now.

Students work during MIC time and also during third period when Mrs. Zuege has Art 3 and 4. Some people have also worked on weekends, just to find the time to get everything done.

“It’s a logistical nightmare,” Mr. Gleisburg said, “but it will be worth it in the end.”

The mural is expected to be done by the end of the school year.

The process has been long and time-consuming, consisting of  priming the wall, projecting the original drawing on the wall, and adding base colors and finally detail and shading. The students use scaffolding and ladders to reach all the areas.

“We feel honored to be part of this project because it’s the first time in 20 years the wall will be changed,” Emma F. said. “We get to be part of the history of the school.”

Mrs. Zuege said she hopes the efforts of the students and staff will produce “a fresh new look” for the gym after having the same thing displayed for 20 years. 

“We would like to involve  as many students as possible,” Mrs. Zuege concluded. If any students are interested in helping, they should contact either Mrs. Zuege or Mr. Gleisburg.

“You don’t have to be the best to try and be the best,” Giovanna W. said. All students are welcome to contribute to the project.