A Debate: Buyable Parking Spot

Parking spots for sale have been a topic of discussion at numerous schools.  Two Chase County students, Nike S. and Tegan T., debate whether being able to buy a parking spot would be a beneficial inclusion to their school.

TEGAN: So, I saw online the other day that a school has parking spots that students can buy, decorate and call their own. Isn’t that cool?

NIKE: This is a completely unnecessary and wasteful addition to our school. The parking spots bring up multiple conflicts among students, and the idea of marking a parking spot on gravel is unthinkable.

TEGAN: I think otherwise. This could be a really cool tradition for our school. Students could get creative and show off their personalities. 

NIKE: A normal parking spot is just as customizable. A student could set up decorations around a spot in the parking lot without buying it. 

TEGAN: Having your own spot could give students a sense of accomplishment.

NIKE: Arriving at school early and earning your parking spot can also give students a sense of accomplishment. On top of that, it also gives students an incentive to arrive to school earlier to help prevent tardiness. What if a student is gone for the school day? That “paid for” parking spot is then wasted, as no one else can use it.

TEGAN: That might be true; however, if there were an empty spot, that wouldn’t be an issue because a student could find another spot. We do have a whole parking lot.

NIKE: What if there were 20 open slots?

TEGAN: We could have a certain timeframe a student had to be able to park there. So, if it was at 7:50 a.m. and that student wasn’t there yet, someone else could park there and they would have to find a new spot.

NIKE: Teachers and staff members often park in the front row of the parking lot. Would they keep their reserved row or would students be able to purchase those spots?

TEGAN: Since the staff already have reserved parking in the front row, I don’t think it would be an issue to say that they would be able to keep that spot. 

NIKE: Would these reserved parking spots continue to stay reserved into evening hours when school events are going on?

TEGAN: Probably not.

NIKE: Understandable. I park in the same spot every day. What stops another student from buying that spot away from me?

TEGAN: If you think about it, anyone could park in your spot any given day so that “risk” is already an issue. This could make it easier for students to keep their spot and not risk someone parking in the spot they’ve parked in every day. 

NIKE: But there is always the opportunity that I could arrive earlier and reclaim my spot as opposed to it being owned by another person. What stops me from arriving earlier to take that spot anyway? Is there a parking lot police? If an issue were to pop up of somebody purposely parking in another person’s parking spot, it could lead to a slew of unnecessary conflict. 

TEGAN: Yes, this could be an issue; however, there could always be issues with a new system. If it became a big problem we could set up more strict rules and repercussions. The best part about this, though, is that not everyone would have to buy a spot. Since not everyone in our school would probably buy one, it would be less likely for people to purposely ruin it for others.  This could be used to our advantage. Besides, the parking spots could be used as a fundraiser. 

NIKE: Would the spots be a one-time purchase or a subscription fee? And what would be the specific cost?

TEGAN:  In my head, it would be a one-time fee of maybe $5 or $10, not something extremely expensive, but it could help whatever group is using it as a fundraiser. 

NIKE: Some students might not be able to afford these parking spots. On top of that, students who can afford the parking spots are making a useless purchase. These kids have college around the corner.

TEGAN: If paying for college is an issue, students should be responsible enough to know what they can afford.

NIKE: Even if the proceeds were used to help fund raise, the profits would be pretty limited, as it only affects the senior class.

TEGAN: Every dollar counts!

NIKE: Now that I think about it, how are you going to mark the parking spots? The parking lot is completely gravel, other than the front row, which is reserved for staff.

TEGAN: See, that’s where students can get creative. They don’t have to go huge, but if they wanted to, they could. They could maybe spray paint or put up balloons and ribbons. Students could decorate their spot however they wanted. We could also have a parking spot decoration contest.

NIKE: That might be fun. Could everyone participate? Or is it pay to play?

TEGAN: I think it could go either way. Maybe we could have it broken down into grade levels like the homecoming hallway decoration. Or we could have teams of people work together to do an entire section of the parking lot. 

NIKE: What if people sabotage other parking spots?

TEGAN: We can figure that out when the time comes.