Success at state FFA convention

Back to Article
Back to Article

Success at state FFA convention

Morayah Martinez

Imperial sent 22 high school and 11 junior high members to attend the 91st Nebraska State FFA Convention. The Convention took place in Lincoln Apr. 3-5. This year’s Convention theme was Rise. Nebraska’s goal with this theme was to motivate members to rise to the challenge, rise together, rise to success, rise above, rise within and rise beyond.

The FFA Chapter sent the following teams: Senior Parliamentary Procedure, Food Science, Meat Evaluation, Hall of Chapters Display and Ag Sales. Imperial also sent the following individuals: Taylor Jablonski and Austin Bernhardt in Livestock Evaluation, Matalie Wallin in Creed Speaking, Morayah Cupp in Extemporaneous Speaking and Carissa Hill in the Ag Processing Proficiency Area.

The Imperial FFA Chapter had great success in many of the competing areas. Winners include: Senior Parliamentary Procedure, state champions; Ag Processing Proficiency Area, state champions; Hall of Chapters Display, Runner-Up; Food Science, fourth place; Morayah Cupp individually in Ag Sales, tenth place; Matalie Wallin in Creed Speaking, bronze rating and Morayah Cupp in Extemporaneous Speaking, silver rating. I was proud of the students who put time and effort into their competitions. Results are the icing on the cake, but what matters most is if they put their time, energy and effort into preparing,” said Mr. Vlasin, Chapter Advisor.

Along with teams competing at state convention, 10 Imperial FFA members attended leadership academies conducted by former national officers. The FFA mission statement focuses on premier leadership, personal growth and career success. These leadership academies help to promote premier leadership and personal growth.

Students attended seven general sessions in Pinnacle Bank Arena throughout convention. During these sessions, the State FFA Officers gave their retiring addresses, offering one last message to FFA members. Sessions also contain keynote speakers such as Kyle Scheele, who shared his message of not allowing self image to direct your path.

Three Imperial FFA members also received their State FFA Degrees at the Convention. The highest degree an FFA member can recieve in Nebraska is the State. Members have to earn $3,500 in their Supervised Agricultural Experience, have 50 community service hours and earn 500 FFA points. Those who received the State Degree from Imperial included seniors Katelyn Leibhart, Macy Coleman and Logan Mendenhall. Members who receive this degree are usually last year members.

“Also I would like to say I am extremely thankful for the outside help we received from volunteer coaches like Arlys Cupp and Carolina Ramos, as well as all those who sponsor and take their personal time to take students down to Lincoln, transport them around Lincoln and support them in their contests,” Mr. Vlasin said.